Skip to content

The Gender/Cookie Theory

During this cookie season, my husband’s theory always comes up. To wit: women prefer crispy cookies, while men prefer chewy, soft ones.

At a holiday party the other day, a lady fell into the appropriate demographic. When I offered her one of my home-baked chocolate chip cookies, she asked if it was soft. Yes, I said with pride, because at my house that’s the preferred answer.

She shook her head and waved her hand at me. No thanks, she said. Ah! I said. You prefer crispy? She nodded.

What do you think? (And we’ll consider this poll scientific.) Soft or crispy? Does your preference fit your gender?

12 Comments

1. josh wrote:

I prefer soft cookies; I apparently fit the theory :)

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 12:19 am | Permalink
  2. Marianne Sachs wrote:

Crispy. And I live in a family with 3 soft cookie males.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Permalink
  3. Kathy wrote:

See? Me, too. My two resident males prefer soft cookies. (I don’t know about Shucks.)

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Permalink
  4. robin kosleb wrote:

I con’t have a preference.Just really like cookies.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Permalink
  5. pat wrote:

i prefer crispy cookies…
    like biscotti…:)

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Permalink
  6. Leda wrote:

Any cookie will do me just fine!! I love all cookies. However, just like everything else I can think of, Gregg is different … he likes ’em crispy or hard so he can dunk them in milk! And for me, if someone else is doing the baking, I would never turn down or complain about a single cookie!! ♥ Happy Holidays!!!

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Permalink
  7. Amber wrote:

Chewy! I rebel against gender stereotypes.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Permalink
  8. Rick Price wrote:

I like soft and crisp cookies… matter of fact, I can’t remember eating a cookie I didn’t like at all. Hmmm… am I transgender or bigender?

Sunday, December 19, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Permalink
  9. Margaret wrote:

CHEWY! Tell Dad I still think this theory is absurd.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Permalink
  10. Kim Christopher wrote:

I guess I go against the grain too….I like chewy cookies! Chris likes chewy cookies too.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 12:43 am | Permalink
  11. I will eat and enjoy any good cookie, crispy, chewy or anything in between. Gender…schmender!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 1:14 am | Permalink
  12. Lisa Marin wrote:

Wait a minute! Doesn’t anybody care about what FLAVOR cookie it is?? Choc chip, peanut butter, oatmeal are best chewy! Cinnamon, sugar, lemon are best thin & crispy! What’s up with everyone?

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Permalink